For centuries, essential oils have been used in many different ways for treating a number of conditions and to promote a healthy lifestyle. One of the most effective and widely used ways of application of essential oils is aromatherapy, which goes by many names such as aromatic medicine, essential oil therapy, and aromatology.
Aromatherapy uses different essential oils extracted from roots, herbs, barks, seeds, and flowers. This technique promotes spiritual, mental, and physical health. There are several ways of administering aromatherapy including inhaling the scent of essential oils, application directly on the skin, or diffusing the aroma of essential oils inside an enclosed space.
The Benefits of Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy has been proven to ease many health related issues and considered as a highly effective relaxation technique. Here are some common health benefits of aromatherapy:
- Immune System: When used properly, essential oils through aromatherapy can strengthen your immune system, giving it the ability to ward off harmful bacteria and viruses more effectively. The anti-fungal, along with anti-microbial and antibacterial effects protect your body from several infections and illnesses. Eucalyptus, cinnamon, peppermint, lemon, clove bud, and oregano, are some of the most effective essential oils that can strengthen your immune system.
- Healing Properties: Many essential oils, when inhaled using aromatherapy, help in boosting the healing and recovery rate throughout the body. This occurs due to increased blood flow, along with the increased levels of oxygen supplied various areas of the body. Internal healing processes also speed up, helping the body to recover faster from illnesses and diseases.
- Enhanced Energy Levels: While healthy diet and exercise can greatly help in increasing the blood circulation throughout the body, aromatherapy can have similar effects if done properly.
- Stress Relief and Anti-Depressant Capacity: Aromatherapy is synonymous to relaxation, which means that it is great for relieving stress. Many essential oils have aromatic compounds known as relaxants to help eliminate anxiety and soothe your mind. Moreover, aromatherapy is known to be very effective in easing the effects of depression.
- Manages Pain: A great alternative to over-the-counter pain medication is aromatherapy, which is known to relieve several different kinds of pains.